A Homestead Exemption Will Help You Lower Your Tax Bill on Your Primary Residence
What Are the Requirements to Apply for a Homestead Exemption?
You must first qualify as a residence homestead on January 1st of the year in which you are applying, meaning you have to occupy or purchase the home the previous years. Example: to qualify for 2021 Homestead you would have had to purchase your home in 2020 or before.
Deadline: January 1st – April 30th
What Type of Homestead Exemptions Are Available
- General Residence Homestead Exemption
- Person Age 65 or Older (or Surviving Spouse) Exemption
- Disabled Person (or Surviving Spouse) Exemption
- 100 Percent Disabled Veteran (or Surviving Spouse) Exemption
- Disabled Veteran or Survivor Exemption
- Donated Residence of Partially Disabled Veteran (or Surviving Spouse) Exemption
- Surviving Spouse of an Armed Services Member Killed in Action Exemption
- Surviving Spouse of a First Responder Killed in the Line of Duty Exemption
What Do I Need to Apply?
To apply, you must complete your county’s application for homestead exemption, as well as provide a copy of your driver’s license or state-issued personal identification certificate. Below are resources about how to apply for your homestead exemption for each county in the Greater Houston Area.